Thursday, June 05, 2014

Beauty Shop vs. Salon

Earlier this year, my hair dresser moved to New Orleans because her husband got transferred with his job {of all places to be transferred!}.  So there I was, smack in the middle of one of the worst woman crises EVAH!

Finding a new hair dresser.

Have you ever had to find someone new?  And I'm not talking about hearing good things about a certain hair dresser and then deciding to give them a try!  I'm talking, "move-to-a-new-town-don't-know-anybody" kind of finding a new hair dresser.

I've never cheated on my hair girl!  And y'all know from past posts, that I had a little extra love for Ashley, my old stylist.  I really liked her style and of course, all those beautiful tattoos {Side note: I follow Ashley on FB and she and her husband had gone "Punk Rock Bowling" a few weeks ago!  That's just how different she is!}  The girl could do wonders with my hair!  So when she told me she was moving to NOLA, my heart just fell.  Luckily for me, I was able to get in one last cut and color before she high-tailed it out of Dodge moved.

That was early February.

With my color and hair style, I can go nearly three months before needing another cut and color.  Very seldom do I have to get a cut in between coloring. So knowing this, I knew that I had about two and a half months to find the perfect a new hair girl.  So I enjoyed those months and put off the inevitable.  Around the middle of April, I decided that it was getting close for me to begin looking for someone new.  Two girls at work recommended this "great uptown salon" in town.  They went on and on about this "great experience" and the "shampoo head massage."  I'm always up for a head massage!

So this is where I come to the point of "Beauty Shop" versus Salon.  As in "high end salon."

Where Ashley cut my hair would be more like what I would call a "beauty shop."  I mean, it wasn't Truvy's from "Steel Magnolias" or anything, but it was just that.  It was a shop.  No fancy-shmancy stuff.  No bells and whistles, just a nice  - and relaxing place, I might add - to get my hair done.

You know where I'm going with this.

So I took the girls at work up on the Salon thingy.

I couldn't concentrate on my book, y'all!  There was too much activity!  Waaay too many "things" going on!

There was a "color bar," where you "discuss" your hair color needs with your stylist and all the dirty work is done right there - out in the open for everyone to see.  There were about twelve stylists all going at it on a head of hair and what REALLY intrigued me was the fact that all the hair dryers hung from the ceiling!  I'm not kidding!  You just reach and pull the thing down from the sky!  There was a separate room for the shampooing and head massage {and yes, I did enjoy it!}, and then it was back to the stylist chair for all to see.  The lighting, the busy atmosphere, the funiture....it was all very upscale and I felt like I had been transported to a BIG salon in a BIG city.  Needless to say,  my pocket book felt the BIG-ness, too.

So now, here's the deal.  I can't decide which I like better - the beauty shop or the high end salon.  The shop is quieter, with less activity and at least you feel like you can carry a conversation with someone two chairs over.  But I kinda liked the Salon and all the BIG-ness it had going for it.  Maybe it was that shampoo head massage!

So what about you?  Do you get your hair needs done at a beauty shop or a salon?  What do you like about the place where you go?

2 comments:

Leigh said...

You made me smile this morning! Hair dryers hanging from the ceiling!! :)



Renee Miller said...

Okay, this post is too funny! Seriously, great job!